Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Thoughts on Down Syndrome Two Years Later

 Before I post about the one rockin' celebration that is happening next week for Willow's second birthday, Josh's 30th birthday, and our 6th wedding anniversary, I thought I would touch on Down Syndrome two years later.  There was a time when I felt sure I would think about Down Syndrome every second of every day for the rest of my life.  I was convinced that, not only would I think about it, but that I would never stop feeling sad about it.  Surprisingly two years later I think about it much less than I had anticipated.  And these days, I often do not think about it at all.  And when I do, I rarely feel sad.

See http://www.beadsofcourage.org/ to read about what these beads represent.

The times that I feel sad are the times when I forget to let Willow take things at her own pace.  I allow comparison and impatience to rule my heart, and I start comparing her growth and development to that of her peers.  I forget that with parenting, as with most places in life, comparison is the robber of joy.  I have to tell myself in these moments, slow down, take a deep breath, what is the rush?  Celebrate the steps no matter when they come. Stay hopeful, work hard, but chill out.



There are other times when I feel sad about it thinking of the hardships she has faced already and the hardships that are likely to come.  I feel sad when I hear the word retard used casually and flippantly. I feel sad when I think about the possibility that someone might one day make fun of her, leave her out, or underestimate her because of the way she looks. Then I remember that I will hopefully raise her to be tough. Hell, she is already tough.  I will raise her to challenge people's stereotypes and love people even when they do not deserve it, because that is what Jesus did. I will work on educating people that retard is not a word to be used as an insult. And besides, I'm pretty sure all of her Ukrainian cousins will beat up anybody who messes with her, and I promise you don't want to mess with Eliza.


Though occasionally I still feel sad, there are many days when I don't even think about Down Syndrome at all.  I forget all about it, because it is only one part of our family.  It does not define her, and it does not define us.  She has beautiful blue eyes.  We have no idea where they came from.  Josh likes to say the mailman.  She has a winning smile, a great sense of humor, and loves dancing and music.  She has long eyelashes like here dad.  You're welcome, Willow.  She has straight, thin hair like her mom.  Sorry, girl.  And she also has a third copy of the 21st chromosome.  Willow eats, laughs, and plays, just like other children.  Just like other families, we take walks around our neighborhood, cook dinner, and go to the beach.  We have some extra challenges but who doesn't?


I used to think I would change it.  That if I could, I would erase Down Syndrome from our family.  I now feel differently.  I would, hands down, change out her heart for another heart that had never been broken. I would trade in her bowels for normal, working bowels. I would trade in all of the medical problems, absolutely.  But would I take away the Down Syndrome? That would be like saying I would trade her in.  It would be like saying I want a different baby, and I don't.  She fits perfectly in our family, and we love her just the way she is. Often times I think that other babies are the ones missing something.  Maybe we are all missing something.  We are the ones missing those beautiful, exotic almond-shaped eyes, extra neck skin for snuggling, or the cute extra space between her toes.  We are the ones who are missing the ability to smile, not just with our mouths, but with our whole entire face and dance without inhibition.  We are missing that extra sweetness, that extra cuteness, and that extra charm.



Is it hard, yes.  Would we change it, no.  Josh and I have both been changed forever in all of the best ways.  We are the Wickers.  We are a bit eccentric (I am pretty sure that is the polite word for weird), but as many of you know, we were like that long before Down syndrome entered our lives.  I will keep talking about Down Syndrome, not because it defines us, but because I hope to help readers think about people with Down Syndrome in a way that they have not before.  I hope to help people realize that folks with Down Syndrome have so much to contribute to society.  Read about Christian Royal, a potter (www.christianroyalpottery.com/).  Read about Tim harris, a restaurant owner (http://timsplaceabq.com/).  Read this letter where John Franklin Stephens smokes Ann Coulter on the word retard (http://specialolympicsblog.wordpress.com/2012/10/23/an-open-letter-to-ann-coulter/).  But I also hope that we realize that a person's value is not measured by their contribution  to society but by their humanity alone.   It is measured by the fact that people with Down Syndrome, like all of us, are made in the image of God and beloved by Him.

Happy birthday, Willow.  You are the best thing that ever happened to your dad and me, and you could not be more loved.


Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
(I Cor. 13:7)


What makes you different makes you beautiful.
(Yes, this is the Backstreet Boys, but I thought it was pertinent.)

18 comments:

  1. Thank you, Nancy, for sharing your intimate world with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Wickers! And I feel so blessed to have gotten to be apart of your Journey that day 2 years ago. Can't wait to visit soon. Let me know if ya'll are in Charleston too!

    Love,
    Auntie Em

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely post Nancy Hart. Amen. Happy Birthday sweet Willow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Honestly, I have never met a down syndrome child/adult who was not a joy-factory. We can learn much from these surprising treasures from God.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post. I think all of us parents need the advice about not comparing our kids to others. Willow is beautiful and I hope I get to meet her some day. Maybe she can give me dance lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy Hart, I am a friend of Druid's who has prayed for Willow--and a Gwd native (of the Patrick variety). We have dear friends here in Pensacola who just had their pregnancy labelled down syndrome. Laurel recommended this post, and it is sooo beautiful and helpful. I sent it on to my friend, and I imagine she will be re-reading it often like I already have. We'll keep praying for God to do more than we could imagine through Willow. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, Thank you for the encouragement. Comments like yours make writing worth it, because I want only to encourage people like your friend. I would be happy to talk to her too if she wants to. I did not want to talk to people when we first found out, but please message me if your friend ever wants to talk.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for your post. We are expecting our third child, a son who has Down Syndrome, and I find this incredibly encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your little pumpkin. Thanks for reading. I am happy you have found it an encouragement. I have loved linking up with other moms both in person and online.

      Delete
  8. You are still just as I remember you in Honduras, now so many years ago! May Joy continue to be your byword, may Willow continue to grow tall and bask in your and josh's love. Penny Alden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We remember our time in Honduras so fondly. We actually just recently were able to salvage our Honduras pictures that we thought were lost forever, and we were thinking about our time at Loma de Luz. Thank you so much for remembering us too and taking the time to read and comment here.

      Delete
  9. Of all the people I've met, those with Down Syndrome have always been among the sweetest and most loving people. I know that this is an old post, but Willow is a special gift to the world and I know that God has a great purpose for her. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, you've go me wondering who "Elle" is since this isn't your real name. Hm.... maybe you can fill me in. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  10. Hi! My aunt Jan Witte sent me a link to your blog. She and my uncle Stovall are friends of your parents (or maybe your husband's). Our daughter Rebecca was born almost 2-1/2 years ago and also has DS. She is a joy and blessing to our family and I so agree with your post! I love that you are creating awareness and advocacy for DS. I started a children's clothing company after Rebecca was born for similar reasons. And she is my main model! Maybe we can get our littles together next time we are in Charleston. Keep up the good work and I look forward to reading more!!��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see your clothing company and get together sometime we are in Charleston. What's your real name? Or can you find me on facebook if you know mine?

      Delete
  11. Nancy- thank you so much for sharing. You are an extremely poignant writer with an incredible message. Willow is beautiful and very blessed to have you both for parents!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for writing this post.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete